Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demon Seed (1977)

Go down

Demon Seed (1977) Empty Demon Seed (1977)

Post  BoG Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Demon Seed (1977) 398px-Demon_Seed_1977Demon Seed (1977) Demonseed
BASED ON THE NOVEL BY DEAN KOONTZ
I first watched this many years ago, probably in the early eighties, on TV. I remember even PBS ran it once on a special Sunday night. A DVD was released much more recently and I bought it a few years ago. I've got a soft spot for many SF films of the seventies; a lot of them are beginning to look like they were ahead of their time (Rollerball; Soylent Green; Westworld) while, at the time of release, most people didn't think too much about them.  I think Demon Seed (kind of a strange, inappropriate title - author Dean Koontz seems to always have this problem, such as "Phantoms") also falls into this category, to some extent. Some of these SF films are true 'thinking man' films; how well they succeed - well, that's a matter of opinion.
Demon Seed (1977) DemonSeed6 Demon Seed (1977) DemonSeed5
As with many SF films of that period, Demon Seed faced ridicule or indifference, for the most part, in the seventies. The whole concept of a computer or machine raping an attractive woman sounds very cheesy and exploitive on the face of it (see also Saturn 3 from 1980). But, I find that it delves into possibilities of our ever-growing technology that most other films dare not or cannot explore. Our current relationships with computers (who is controlling who?) makes this film more & more insightful as more time goes by.
Demon Seed (1977) DemonSeed
A lot of the film's critics also probably compared it unfavorably to 2001:A Space Odyssey - HAL vs. Proteus - perhaps with good reason. It also has a bit of a slow pace, but director Donald Cammell definitely has his own style and directed one of my favorite films a decade later, White of the Eye. He had a strange, infrequent career and committed suicide. The film also ends at the point which many, including me, would want it to begin - what happens with Proteus as a new breed of humanity now? We never got the answer, no sequel, nothing. BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down