Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster a-Go-Go (1965)

Go down

Monster a-Go-Go (1965) Empty Monster a-Go-Go (1965)

Post  BoG Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Monster a-Go-Go (1965) Monsteragogo
TCM played this one not too long ago and I DVR'ed it. This 'film' has suddenly moved to the top of my personal list of worst films of all time - not just among sci-fi/horror films, but all films. It begins, after the credits, with narration that reminded me of Plan 9 From Outer Space, something like "What you are about to see may not even be possible..." (may not?); but after this promising first minute, it slows to a dead stop. Other very poor films at least have moments here-and-there where things pick up a bit; not in this one. I mean, for the entire length of the film - just dead & extremely dull, like watching grass grow. It is so sleep-inducing, literally. I had to watch it twice; the first time, I fell asleep at the half-hour mark and awoke about 20 minutes later; the 2nd time, I managed to stay awake for an hour, so I missed the last 10 minutes.
Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo1  Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo2
What really makes this infamous as perhaps the worst film of all time is the... non-conclusion. In the last 5 minutes, I actually thought things might pick up with some action, as men in radiation suits go into a tunnel to face down the tall monster/astronaut. But, I guess the filmmakers ran out of film; the movie just stops, with narration explaining that the monster just disappeared. Oh, and,
Spoiler:
I admit, this may be the biggest WTF moment in the history of film, but I was not amused; I just became quite annoyed. The plot, btw, has to do with an astronaut (played by a very tall Henry Hite) who has supposedly returned to Earth in his space capsule, mutated & murderous.

Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo3Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo4
As mentioned, this film is one of those patchworks; it was started, stopped uncompleted, then finished years later by others. This also makes it similar to Plan 9 From Outer Space and other very poor films (usually sci-fi/horror). However, fans of Plan 9 point out that Plan 9 has actual entertainment value; I tend to agree, especially after watching this Monster a Go-Go. Ed Wood seems to have done a much more superior job of patching his film together and I look forward to parts of Plan 9. That's not the case here. Also, the bad narration reminded me of another film I watched a few months ago from around the same period; it might have been The Creeping Terror, but I'm not 100% sure. There are a few of these very poor films that stick in narration when normally you would hear characters speaking - it's as if the producer realized that the acting was so bad that even boring narration was preferable. Awful - just an awful monster go and go away - forever!
Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo5 Monster a-Go-Go (1965) MonsteraGoGo6
Also, I wasn't aware until recently that this was the same Bill Rebane (the director) who presented the masterpiece The Giant Spider Invasion a decade later. I'm not being facetious - compared to Monster a Go-Go, The Giant Spider Invasion is a masterpiece.
BoG's Score: 1  Sleep  
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down