Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Time Travelers (1976)

Go down

The Time Travelers (1976) Empty The Time Travelers (1976)

Post  BoG Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:29 pm

The Time Travelers (1976) Timetravellerstv
From IRWIN ALLEN stars SAM GROOM * TOM HALLICK and RICHARD BASEHART

I did see this about a decade ago; it might have been replayed on The Sci-Fi Channel and that's when I caught it, but I'm not sure. It's not very memorable and its weakness is that it simply rehashes the Time Tunnel concept from the sixties. No surprise - this is Irwin Allen's brainchild once again - but the style is more mundane. Rod Serling had a hand in the story.
The Time Travelers (1976) TimeTravelersTVThe Time Travelers (1976) TimeTravelers
Choosing a more exciting locale than old Chicago, 1871, might have helped matters. I find it odd that a cure for some disease was found way back then, according to the plot, and never again in the next hundred years. This was a pilot for a TV series that didn't pan out.
The Time Travelers (1976) Timetravellerstvfilm
Then I found out that this film was on disc, in the 2nd volume of the Time Tunnel DVD set. So I checked it out again the other day. It was a bit better than I recalled. The whole set-up of the new time travel experiment was much more small scale than the Time Tunnel series and I wasn't really clear on the process - the two heroes begin to walk down some stairs, some light FX and they appear on some crowded stairs in old Chicago - but it was fairly interesting, if slow paced.