Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intro to the Base of Galactic Science Fiction

Go down

Intro to the Base of Galactic Science Fiction Empty Intro to the Base of Galactic Science Fiction

Post  BoG Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:00 pm

INTRODUCTION to THE BASE OF GALACTIC SCIENCE FICTION
Intro to the Base of Galactic Science Fiction TheDaytheEarthStoodStill
Why another science fiction board?  Question  Why not?  alien

The main impetus for this one was another sf board called All Sci-Fi. At some point, I became a little frustrated that I was unable to plug in embedded videos into the posts there. There were other limitations... however, paradoxically, I also understood the reasons for keeping that board as is, due to tradition, continuity, steadiness and the comfort factor. Members there, including myself, were accustomed to that board as it was - that was natural. But, the seeds of other ideas were planted - in me, at least.

This Board here - this Base - was started almost as an experiment. I fiddled with it and waited to see what it would look like. 2010 was the year of experimentation; 2011 is when it becomes... reality of a sort.
Intro to the Base of Galactic Science Fiction Sci%20fi%20iconic%20001%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy
A cursory overview of this Base should show that this concentrates strictly on science fiction - no horror and fantasy. It's arranged so that the Base is divided into the basic expressions of science fiction - cinema, TV, written literature and so forth - as the different main categories. Within these categories, the forums are arranged to follow a chronology. In other words, the films and TV series and literature in the forums are ordered by time eras - by year, by decade and so on, with the oldest stuff first.

I applied specific labels to the different time eras of science fiction - the older eras are the Platinum Age and the Golden Age. The Golden Age is mostly the fifties. Next was the Silver Age - a time of change in the sixties and seventies. Then, the Bronze Age, signalled by the advent of Star Wars and its imitators. The Computer Age refers to the use of computer FX - CGI - in film and TV.

Within these ages or forums, the films and TV series are again ordered chronologically, in smaller time frames. I split up an era - the Golden Age for example - into smaller components of 2 to 3 years time. In some cases - where there are a lot of films involved - it's just a single year.
My intent was to offer a clear overview of the past century or so of science fiction, but detailed enough that it's broken down to the single years of that century, so that particular works can be focused on. In the case of TV series, the length of time a series lasted is what determines how it is broken down.

The other big difference between here and other sf boards which I was familiar with is that sf TV series will have each of the episodes broken out into a seperate thread; that was missing for me elsewhere. Therefore, we can discuss individual episodes on their own threads in an easy, simplified manner.

So... again, do we need another sci-fi Board? Who knows? I figured it might be possible to have a sf board with thoughtful, analytical discussions. This is not the norm - so if you are someone who likes to write out long essays on this subject which other places have no patience for, this board is for you - indulge yourself. On the other other hand, if you prefer the style of just typing out a sentence or two, that's fine; there's room for that here because different threads and different subject matter will have different possibilities and expectations. Even if you prefer to just watch, not write - that's OK too; we're not going to make demands of different kinds of members here.  
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down