Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Space Children

Go down

The Space Children Empty The Space Children

Post  BoG Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:11 pm

The Space Children Spacechildrenposter-1
This is another low budget sci-fi film from the fifties whose reputation has been sullied by Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's not a great film or some landmark, but has an intense fan base, usually those who first watched it as kids in the late fifties (I'm not one of these - not quite that age).  In the plot, the alien invader is a glowing, large brain-shaped creature which influences a group of kids, using them in a plan involving a nearby rocket test site. Directed by Jack Arnold, who did some good ones way back then. BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

Perhaps the biggest fan of this film is a web personality named Bud Brewster - yes, the name of the lead child here. He and others point out that the alien creature does not really control the kids, as most viewers believe. Here's one explanation of it all (click): http://www.nndb.com/films/050/000082801/
HERE'S ANOTHER:

Last edited by BoG on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Space Children Empty Space Children article

Post  BoG Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:27 pm

A recent issue of SCARY MONSTERS MAGAZINE, #73,
features this film as its main article, titled "THE SPACE CHILDREN-A Reunion"

The Space Children SpaceChildrenScaryMonsters73The Space Children SpaceChildrenScaryMonsters73b
Interviews by Paul and Donna Parla; written & edited by Anthony Di Salvo

The article mentions how this film has its fans but it has dropped off the radar and is rated only 2.1 (out of 10) at IMDb (it's 2.2 now, so 'someone' must have given it a great rating recently). MST3K is the probable culprit for this low rating - this can start a separate discussion on how film viewers are easily influenced by such shows, i.e. MST3K says the film is bad, so it must be bad is as far the thinking goes for many people.
The Space Children SpaceChildrenScaryMonsters73dThe Space Children SpaceChildrenScaryMonsters73c
The article in SCARY MONSTERS #73, however, calls the film "an unsung gem of the genre" - high praise indeed. It's intended for kids so if you were a kid when you first saw this...well. It has also been thought of as a 'junior league' THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (51). The article summarizes the plot and then analyzes its effectiveness & that of the kid actors - who weren't really actors.

The Space Children SpaceChildrenScaryMonsters73e

The article also points out that Michel Ray plays the lead "Space Child" - Bud Brewster. By strange coincidence, I just watched most of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA recently (I've seen it many times, a long film). It was only during this latest screening that I realized that it was the same Michel Ray playing one of the Arab boys befriended by Lawrence. Shocked Anyway, there's an interview in the article with Ray, who left acting to become an Olympic skier for England and then married into the Heineken company.

There's then an interview with Johnny Crawford, the 2nd lead "Space Child" - Ken Brewster. He really liked the message of the film. Then a short interview with Peggy Webber, who played the mom of Ray's character. For fans of this film, this issue is a must. I will mention that Ray remembered more about LAWRENCE OF ARABIA than THE SPACE CHILDREN (he was older for the '62 film, surrounded by great actors). But he was provided with a TV version DVD of the film to reacquaint himself with it and went into a short time warp - he liked it more than E.T. Exclamation
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down