Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squirm (1976)

Go down

Squirm (1976) Empty Squirm (1976)

Post  BoG Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Squirm (1976) Squirm-1
SQUIRM, foolish humans, Squirm when the worms come to town!
Squirm (1976) SquirmSquirm (1976) Squirm3
There's something about this one that's extra gross. I can sit through FOOD OF THE GODS and EMPIRE OF THE ANTS many times, no problem. I can even stomach KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS and BUG fairly easily. But this...! Too creepy, too squishy, too something...yuch! Worms - just not my cup of tea. And not my kind of egg cream - see the film to figure that one out - I dare ya.
Squirm (1976) Squirm2Squirm (1976) Squirm1
There's creepiness beyond just the worm factor. I appreciated the gloomy, eerie beginning during the night storm. One camera shot is on a swaying street light as the rain whips through the night and we hear a kid's voice singing (badly). The director (Jeff Lieberman) was up to something here - it's not just a simple shock fest. Some of the characters are creepy, too - there's the expected creep sheriff, but the one who takes the creep-o honors is the dumb hick played by R.A.Dow; I kind of figured he would be in the middle of a Texas Chainsaw-style Massacre anyway, even if there was no worm problem. Check it out:Worm-Face!  Twisted Evil
WORM FACE! "You gonna be the Worm Face!"
Squirm (1976) Squirm2Squirm (1976) Squirm3
In the plot, there's a new arrival (Don Scardino) in the rural area where this story takes place, there to visit his girlfriend. He picked the wrong time to visit. A DVD of this film came out about 5 years ago. It has an audio commentary by the director (who was also the writer). Yeah, I have it. Why do I have it? One of these days I might have someone over whom I'd like to knock down a peg or two. I'll sit 'im in front of the TV and say, "hey, I want you to check out this movie...see what ya think..." BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

Last edited by BoG on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Squirm (1976) Empty Squirm novel

Post  BoG Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:36 pm

As it happens, I found the paperback novelization of SQUIRM by Richard Curtis, based on Lieberman's screenplay. I guess it's a chance to sample the gross, squishy quality in a novel format.
The back cover to the paperback had some shots of the action:
Squirm (1976) Squirmnovel
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down