Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger)

Go down

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) Empty Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger)

Post  BoG Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:30 am

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) Journey_to_the_far_side_of_the_sunJourney to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSideofSun-1
This is the one about the discovery of an Earth-like planet in orbit on the other side of our sun; a direct view of the planet is always blocked by the sun. Only, it turns out to be more than that -- the other planet is revealed eventually to be a mirror image of our Earth. I guess in this wild premise, the sun acts like some giant reflecting device and all actions on each planet are duplicated, as if looking at a mirror; all writing, for example, is reversed, as if looking at it in a mirror.
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) Dopplegangercraft02-1
There's a nice DVD release of this film which came out a couple of years ago...
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSideofSunJourney to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSideofSun2
I don't have the previous DVD for comparison and there's no mention of the film being remastered on the DVD cover itself. However, the picture quality is brilliant, even stunning in places (I do have a fairly new widescreen TV and combo HD/Standard player which provide optimum picture, so this should be kept in mind). It looked great to me, considering this was nearly a 40-year old picture; it seemed almost like new - bright color, sharp quality.
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) 200px-Journeyfarsidesun Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSide
I have issues with the film story structure - the film is at just over 100 minutes long and the astronauts do not actually land on the other planet until the one-hour point. There are some glaring plot holes if we are to take this premise literally; as one example, wouldn't the medical personnel on the mirror Earth have immediately noticed that the organs of the 2 arrived astronauts are reversed? The one injured astronaut was receiving intense medical care immediately (this is the future, with advanced techniques); yet, they only discover his reverse structure upon doing an autopsy.
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSide2Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) Dopplegangercraft03
The first hour is made more bearable for me due to the picture quality. Some of the scenes of the miniature landscapes and the interior sets are, as I mentioned, just stunning - a conceptually successful version of a futuristic landscape. There was an attractively coordinated use of color and composition in some of these scenes which now really stand out due to this new picture quality (again, I say it's new but I don't have the older DVD to compare). BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytoFarSideofSun-1 Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969 UK) (Doppelganger) JourneytotheFarSide
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down