Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

episode #18 - Zzzzz

Go down

episode #18 - Zzzzz Empty episode #18 - Zzzzz

Post  BoG Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Air Date: 1/27/64 Arrow writer: Meyer Dolinsky Arrow Director: John Brahm
episode #18 - Zzzzz OL-ZZZZZ9 episode #18 - Zzzzz OL-ZZZZZ12
A queen bee transmutes herself into the form of a young woman (Joanna Frank). Her plan is to mate with a scientist, an entomologist (Phillip Abbott), to advance her species... I think. The scientist's wife (Marsha Hunt) isn't pleased with what's going on. The scientist is working on a means to communicate with bees; via a special translator, the bees actually speak, in a mechanized fashion. The premise is drawn from an assumption - more fantasy than sci-fi - that other animal lifeforms besides humans may be conducting studies.
episode #18 - Zzzzz OL-ZZZZZ11episode #18 - Zzzzz OLZzzzzepisode #18 - Zzzzz OL-ZZZZZ1
This description of the plot above sounds pretty silly and a lot of it is. Why, for example, does a queen bee suddenly have the power to turn into a human-looking woman? At one point, a physician (Booth Colman) calls her a "complete mutant." What is a complete mutant? (it sounds like a contradiction in terms). However, I was surprised that there were a few eerie scenes - this is O L, after all. Some of this episode reminds of the typical fifties sci-fi horror feature (The Wasp Woman, etc.). Much if it depends on conveying the threat of a female predator. I also wonder if Nicholas Meyer was inspired by this to write Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973). The ending returns to the silliness, with some sappy narration about love winning out over such freaks of nature, even though that's not the feeling I got. BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10

Outer Trivia: as with a very few O L episodes in the 1st season, the pre-credits scene in this one, when we see the queen bee transform into a woman, is the actual first scene of the episode, not a preview.
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down