Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

episode #04 - Day of the Robot

Go down

episode #04 - Day of the Robot Empty episode #04 - Day of the Robot

Post  BoG Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:02 am

Air Date:2/8/74  Arrow  written by Del Reisman, story by Harold Livingston,Lionel Siegel; Directed by Leslie Martinson
episode #04 - Day of the Robot Six-million04dayofrobot4 episode #04 - Day of the Robot Six-million04dayofrobot
A rather famous early episode which introduced a devilish robot maker played by old-time actor Henry Jones. Does this take its cue from Westworld (73)? Possibly. Austin's friend (played by another well known actor, John Saxon) has been replaced by a robot and the episode culminates with a huge battle between cyborg and robot. Which has the better warranty? Lloyd Bochner also appears as a sleazeball. Jones would return later in the 1st season in Run, Steve, Run and then with another robot in a 2nd season episode, Return of the Robot Maker.
episode #04 - Day of the Robot The_Six_Million_Dollar_Man_1episode #04 - Day of the Robot Six-million-dollar-man-04episode #04 - Day of the Robot SixMillion04DayofRobot9001
This one also reminded me of several storylines from the Spider-Man comic book series in the sixties; there were several issues which pitted the hero against a robot designed by a half-crazed robotics expert (helped by J.Jonah Jameson) - issues #25 and #58 were the early ones. There's also some suspense in this episode; Austin and his buddy are on a road trip and during most of it, Austin doesn't know that his friend has been replaced. Besides the climactic battle, this has some of the  more entertaining moments in the series: Jones & Bochner are able to see through the robot's artificial eyes and, at one point, they gape as Austin lifts the front end of an automobile, something they thought only their robot could do. BoG's Score: 7 out of 10
episode #04 - Day of the Robot Six-million04dayofrobot3 episode #04 - Day of the Robot Six-million04dayofrobot2
Bionic Trivia: first use of the bionic sound effect during the battle at the end, though it seemed to apply to the robot in this case; it was used with Austin next in Dr. Wells is Missing. Saxon also starred in PLANET EARTH that year. The actor would return to this series as another character, an alien, at the start of the 4th season in The Return of Bigfoot.
Memories of the director, Martinson:
It was a very interesting episode where John Saxon played a robot with bionic strength. There's an 8-minute fight in slow motion at the end. The episode got the highest rating of the season. Some months later, I was in a theater and there was a tap on my shoulder. It was John Saxon. "Thank you, Leslie," he said, "for destroying my career. Here I've done all this theater and for the last two months, everyone refers to me as being the robot on The Six Million Dollar Man!"

BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down