Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Go down

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Empty Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Post  BoG Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:18 am

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea 7124888_f520
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSea3
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSea6
This is a very colorful adventure, with many science fiction elements. You expect it to be about some threat coming from the bottom of the sea and, instead, it has to do with the sky being on fire.  Shocked  So, we've got the stuff under the water, of course, the stuff in the sky and a lot in-between. What a trip. I have the 'Global Warming' special edition DVD.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSeaVoyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSea0 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomofSea-1Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomofSea
WALTER PIDGEON tells everyone that they're wrong!
JOAN FONTAINE tells everyone that Pidgeon is wrong!
BARBARA EDEN tells Robert Sterling that Pidgeon is right!
ROBERT STERLING tells Eden to stop dancing!
PETER LORRE plays with a rubber shark!
MICHAEL ANSARA plays with a little dog!
FRANKIE AVALON sings and gets slapped by Pidgeon!
Go with them on a voyage to the bottom of the sea!
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyageVoyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSea2
As I read elsewhere, there's always something happening in this one; the only place its slows a bit is a long scuba-diving scene when they seek out the telephone cable at the sea bottom (so THAT's what's at the bottom of the sea!), the scene where Irwin Allen got the science facts correct. The whole Van Allen Belt thing, prompted by its discovery a few years before, is utter nonsense - and I wonder how long Earth would last at 170 degrees worldwide (a long time, according to this) - but it sure was exciting to watch them race to save it.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea VoyagetoBottomSea5
There were story points in the novel which were missing in the film; as one example, Joan Fontaine's character, a psychiatrist, had a heavy crush on Pidgeon's rival in the novel; in the film, there's no real explanation for her radical behavior and it always seemed out of left field to me.
Oh, well.  BoG's Score: 7.5 out of 10
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea FantasticVoyage-2-1
Voyage to the Bottom of Trivia: This film is often paired with other memorable, above average sixties sci-fi, such as Fantastic Voyage (1966) and another Allen adventure, The Lost World (1960); Allen was almost like the Spielberg of the sixties - maybe not as finessed or diversified - yet with that similar approach towards escapism.

BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down