Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westworld (1973)

Go down

Westworld (1973) Empty Westworld (1973)

Post  BoG Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am

From the prolific Michael Crichton, an early look at how technology - the advancement of such - may have detrimental effects on society, the paradox to the supposed benefits. The new technology simply empowers the populace to new levels of decadence. Crichton's The Andromeda Strain was made into a film a couple of years earlier; for this, Crichton was able to write & direct it himself, as his first film.
Westworld (1973) Westworld-open Westworld (1973) Westworldfacelift
The story focuses on two typical citizens (played by Richard Benjamin & James Brolin) who arrive at the adult amusement park of the future; the park, Delos, is divided into 3 sections or themes: Roman World, Medieval World and... Westworld. Each section recreates these past eras, using human-looking robots to interact with the guests. The two main characters have selected Westworld to romp in; Benjamin is the newbie; Brolin has been there before. Their first moment of real excitement is a confrontation with a sinister gunslinger (Yul Brynner). Of course, there's no real danger for the guests. Well... until now. Technology - a two-edged sword?
Westworld (1973) Westworld Westworld (1973) Westworld5
I have the original paperback novelization of Westworld from the same year it was released; of course, it's not really a novelization, just the screenplay in paperback format. Michael Crichton, the writer & director, found that he couldn't work out an actual novel of the story; he includes a preface, titled "Shooting Westworld," in which he explains, in one paragraph, the 'Made-for-TV' look which some find pedestrian:
In all our planning, my overriding concern was to avoid a bizarre, science fiction appearance to the film. The story was strange and certainly suggested a strange treatment; I could easily imagine using wide-angle lenses, eccentric compositions, and disorienting cutting patterns.  I decided to shoot the film straight, playing against the strangeness instead of emphasizing it.
Westworld (1973) Westworld4
Westworld (1973) Westworld6