Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gorgo (UK)

Go down

Gorgo (UK) Empty Gorgo (UK)

Post  BoG Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Gorgo (UK) GorgoanimGorgo (UK) Gorgo-1Gorgo (UK) Gorgoanim

First there was... The Giant Behemoth (1959); then there was... Gorgo!

I just watched this one a couple of years ago (again - I've seen it several times before). I opened up a DVD which was released not too long ago, to see the quality; the picture quality still wasn't all that super - I get the feeling that only mediocre prints exist for this one. This is the British Godzilla/Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.
Gorgo (UK) Gorgo5

The plot is simple: a prehistoric-type creature rises out of the sea at a small fishing village and ends up getting captured (the capture is unreal - a fishing boat somehow nets the monster, even though it's like 60 ft long and maybe 20 tons). The creature is taken to London as a sideshow attraction, but soon a 2nd creature rises from the sea - a much larger one. Whoops - goodbye, London.

I've always felt that there was something a bit clearly different in tone about this one from the usual Godzilla pictures and the various USA Big Monster pictures (Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, King Kong, etc.); it was apparent to me what it was during my latest viewing: there were no female characters. The usual expectation in these types of movies is: a male lead, a female lead and perhaps a 2nd male lead, sometimes forming a triangle. Not this time - this stars Bill Travers and William Sylvester (2001) as a couple of not-so-heroic opportunists.

Gorgo (UK) Gorgo2Gorgo (UK) Gorgo4

There's also a little kid character - and he is a little annoying as with most kids in such films. I didn't really understand what was up with him during most of the film; he was fixated on helping the first creature, taking strange risks and behaving foolishly for the most part, even as the message to the audience is that he is wise beyond his years. Then, something happened at the very end - there's a close up  shot of the kid staring at the creatures as they wade out to sea and he does indeed look like an old soul; I dunno how the filmmakers managed it but they brought the kid's arc to a satisfying close at the conclusion.  BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

Gorgo (UK) Gorgo3
---- London Bridge is Falling Down...... Falling Down..... Falling Down...

Last edited by BoG on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gorgo (UK) Empty making of Gorgo

Post  BoG Fri May 04, 2012 2:21 am