Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Love War (1970)

Go down

The Love War (1970) Empty The Love War (1970)

Post  BoG Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 pm

THE LOVE WAR first aired on 3/10/70. Directed by George McCowan.
stars Lloyd Bridges / Angie Dickinson / with Daniel Travanti
The Love War (1970) LoveWar The Love War (1970) LoveWar3The Love War (1970) Lovewar1
I guess this is a bit sub-par, even by TV-movie standards, but I still find it curiously watchable. I think I did see it when it first aired; it was kind of trippy to these early-teen eyes; the film has an existential vibe to it. About a year ago, I was able to get a rough, smudgy DVD-R version, probably recorded off a muddy TV telecast.
The Love War (1970) LoveWarThe Love War (1970) LoveWar2The Love War (1970) LoveWar4
What still throws me a little is how the story manages to weave in the concepts of two intergalactic races, fighting their war on the primitive planet Earth, and present this with no FX and no budget. It's kind of a sci-fi version of THE CHALLENGE TV movie, as well as the Fredric Brown sf story (adapted by Star Trek TOS into their episode Arena). The essence of warfare is stripped down to just a few individuals. If you want to show war cheaply, that's how you do it. Mostly, this just has Lloyd Bridges running around, along with his partner and opponents; they fire their guns, which make this sci-fi noise.

Of course, we'd be giving away the main plot surprise here if I didn't code it. As presented in the story,
Spoiler:
The moral: even highly advanced alien races cheat.  Rolling Eyes  BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10
The Love War (1970) LoveWar2
Half-a-Minute of LOVE WAR-no sound,sorry; click image above to see Dan Travanti & Lloyd Bridges in action!

War Trivia: special glasses figure into the plot - with these one can see aliens as they really look;
-------------- this concept was copied for John Carpenter's They Live (1988)
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down