Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cinefantastique - 2nd ish

Go down

Cinefantastique - 2nd ish Empty Cinefantastique - 2nd ish

Post  BoG Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:32 pm

CINEFANTASTIQUE - the 2nd issue (Feb. 1971)
Cinefantastique - 2nd ish Cinefantast2Cinefantastique - 2nd ish Cinefantast2back
Everyone recognize who that is on the cover of the 2nd issue? No?
I didn't either.
Anyway, it's Jonathan Frid (as Barnabas) and Kathryn Leigh Scott (as Maggie) from House of Dark Shadows, which is also given a positive review inside by Clarke. The back cover is self-evident. Clarke's Sense of Wonder editorial examined the difficulty of defining what constitutes a horror, fantasy and science fiction film.

The big article, however, was STOP FRAME-THE HISTORY AND TECHNIQUE of FANTASY FILM ANIMATION by Mark Wolf. This was a lengthy 15-page piece, beginning with the late 19th century, covering The Lost World (25), King Kong of course, almost all the works of the big two - Willis O'Brien & Ray Harryhausen - through Valley of Gwangi (1969), and explaining rear screen projection. It's too bad there were only b&w stills in the mag at this point. A 2nd installment was promised.
Cinefantastique - 2nd ish KingKongCinefantastique - 2nd ish Stopmotion
The Reviews included The Brotherhood of the Bell (a TV Movie I'm unfamiliar with), Taste the Blood of Dracula, Watermelon Man, The Mind of Mr. Soames, The Vampire Lovers, The Body Stealers, No Blade of Grass, Scrooge, Hauser's Memory (another TV movie) and Trog. There were a lot of vampire movies at this time, a few I don't mention here. This issue also began the SHORT NOTICES feature, which were just more brief reviews.

In the back, NEWS AND NOTES was about "THE SCORE" - Mark Stevens wrote about what he felt were the year's best film scores; most of these were not in the sf genre, though Colossus the Forbin Project figured prominently. There was a short blurb on John Carradine, who had been cast in a film named The Seven Minutes. The first letters page (letters about the first issue) also made its appearance.

There was also the COMING section, of coming films. The ones I never heard of and perhaps not made: Barracuda 2000 A.D. Idea Beast of the Yellow Night Idea Blood For Blood Idea The Bloody Judge Idea Bury Him Darkly Idea Cadaver Idea The Difference Idea The First of January (this may have ended up as Z.P.G.) Idea G.O.O.-Galactic Octopedular Ooze Idea I am Legend (ended up as The Omega Man) Idea The Possessors Idea Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein's novel - never made) Idea Vampire Thrills Idea When the Earth Cracked Open Idea Zeppelin vs. Pterodactyls - these latter two were planned Hammer films never made, but posters exist.
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down