Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Episode #01 - Where is Everybody?

Go down

Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? Empty Episode #01 - Where is Everybody?

Post  BoG Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Air Date: 10/2/59  Arrow written by Rod Serling  Arrow  Directed by Robert Stevens
Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? TZeverybody
The place is here, the time is now, and the journey into the shadows that we're about to watch, could be our journey.

...the first episode, the pilot episode...
Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? TZWhereis Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? TZWhereis
Earl Holliman guest stars as a man first seen wandering on an empty road; fact is, everything's empty - he reaches a small town and there is still no sign of any other people. When I first watched this a long time ago, my first thought at this point was 'uh-oh, one of those neutron bombs went off, getting rid of all people' - but why is this guy still around? Hmm.. he's dead too, just doesn't know it. No? That's the attraction of such an episode - it's a mystery and you need to find out what's what by the 10-minute mark... or you'll go bust.
Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? Tzwhereisevery001Episode #01 - Where is Everybody? TZWhereis2
There is a daring aspect to this one, being way back in the late fifties: having just one character for most of the story was an unusual way to go back then. And, I do admit, I do get annoyed with Holliman talking to himself pretty quickly. But, it holds up well overall and was a fitting beginning to the famous show. Note the use of mannequins, which figured prominently in a few later episodes.  The reveal at the end is that
Spoiler:
BoG's Score: 7 out of 10. I recently became aware of the true (unofficial) earlier pilot for the TZ show: The Time Element.

Trivia From the Zone:
at one point, the man peruses a revolving book rack; all the books are the same one - The Last Man on Earth, presumably the novel by Richard Matheson, though it's titled I am Legend in our reality; it's the 1st film version in 1964 which was titled as The Last Man on Earth
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down