Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth II (1971)

Go down

Earth II (1971) Empty Earth II (1971)

Post  BoG Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Earth II (1971) D8291620-6e3e-4421-be23-5e9aa9c78135
starring GARY LOCKWOOD Like a Star @ heaven  SCOTT HYLANDS Like a Star @ heaven  HARI RHODES
guest stars TONY FRANCIOSA Like a Star @ heaven  MARIETTE HARTLEY Like a Star @ heaven GARY MERRILL Like a Star @ heaven INGA SWENSON
special guest star LEW AYRES Like a Star @ heaven  Directed by TOM GRIES

This was an ambitious TV movie following in the footsteps of 2001: A Space Odyssey, involving mankind's future in space and the possible social, political and ethical dilemmas which we will confront. Most of it takes place on a new space station in orbit around the Earth - it's a new nation, as recognized by... well, by the President (Lew Ayres) of the USA at least. I didn't like the slow pace - slow zoom in on the station.. then, slow zoom out... then, another angle... was it really such a great model? However, as most who have seen this opine, the FX are pretty good for TV at that time.

There's an early scene about a customs problem when three new citizens come aboard - a small boy gets his toy gun taken away because it's also regarded as a weapon and no weapons allowed, see? Tony Franciosa plays the kid's father. "You're kiddin' right?" he asks the guy who is 'helping' them aboard. I expected the guy to laugh and say yes, it's a joke. But no, they are not kidding. Mariette Hartley, the kid's mom, thinks this is all wonderful (no more toy guns for my son - what a great day!). Man, did I get a creepy feeling watching this scene -- the more things change the more they stay the same... "ve do this for your own good.. ve know vat is best for you.. ya-ya..."
Earth II (1971) 2356319f-f68f-463d-84df-36b3a28432d5
The drama begins when a new object is detected in orbit nearby - this turns out to be a nuclear bomb, sent up by the Red Chinese. This new nation has a very straightforward democratic voting process; Franciosa is like the new pot-stirrer and more of a hawk than the usual doves on board this station, so he manages to get the majority to vote for diffusing the bomb, despite the threats from China. This action costs them one life.  Then, further conflict and tension are caused by the same mother, Hartley, when she ejects the A-Bomb, thinking that she is sending it towards the sun... uh, nope, she ends up sending la bomb towards Earth (the Great Lakes region to be more precise). "But I waited until it was pointed at the sun!" she nervously explains as other citizens become alarmed. Gary Lockwood patiently explains to her that it takes more than simply pointing such an object at the sun. Oops.
But, in the end.. they are all happy and laughing together, as if to say, 'Mariette baby, we know you will end up blowing up this station in about a month or two somehow, but we are pacifists here - we won't hold it against you!' Un-frickin'-believable.. BoG's Score: 6 out of 10
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down