Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Green Slime (1968)

Go down

The Green Slime (1968) Empty The Green Slime (1968)

Post  BoG Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:26 pm

The Green Slime (1968) GreenSlime-1

Is it ALL JUST in MY HEAD QuestionExclamationExclamation
Question Question WILL I BELIEVE IT WHEN I'M DEAD  Question  Question  Question
GREEN SLIME!
GRE-E-EN SLI-I-I-I-I-I-ME  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation

THE MUSIC VIDEO (music video?):
- just over a minute,
--- GREEN SLI-I-I-I-ME!
The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime1 The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime2
GRE-E-E-E-N SLIME!  Exclamation  Yeah!  Exclamation  OK!!  Exclamation ABOVE: Robert Horton gives a thumbs up to my singing! Exclamation
The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime3The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime4
Yeah, this is a pretty fun movie and it moves pretty quickly. Right from that crazy song near the start, it kind of grabs you. A large circular asteroid is detected bearing down on Earth and we have about half-a-day to stop it (blow it up). Now, it may just be me, but this resembles the plot of later films Meteor (1979), Deep Impact (98) and Armageddon (98). The difference is that once the huge rocks in those later films are blown up, those films are over; here, it just caps off the first 3rd of the film. Also, is it just me, but does the surface of the asteroid Flora here resemble parts of the factory in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? We see these reddish pools, like the chocolate river in Willy Wonka... never mind. Rolling Eyes
The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime5The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime6
Now, the FX here... pretty bad. I'm not sure why, but it's never been more apparent than in this film that the asteroid, the space station and various other objects are tiny models. Sure, other low-budget sci-fi films have obvious cheap model-work, but it's SO MUCH more obvious in this film. Was it done purposely? You can apply terms like 'psychedelic' here and maybe even surrealistic. At the same time, the film is ambitious. This  takes place sometime in the future, with an entire futuristic ambiance set up to present the story.
The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime7The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime8
The Green Slime (1968) GreenSlime2-1
A subplot involves the different approach to command that the two lead characters have (played by Robert Horton and Richard Jaeckel). Horton feels that Jaeckel's commander is too nice a guy; Jaeckel is the type who would try to save one man, possibly sacrificing 10 others in the process. It's a fairly strong narrative and the characterizations are strong, even with melodramatic dialog. The main plot involves bringing aboard an alien spore unto the space station which rapidly expands by absorbing energy. Before I watched this, I always had a problem figuring out the plot, based on summaries available; the stills would show these one-eyed biped creatures - I would think 'what happened to the slime?' Well, I guess it mutates into these creatures... Rolling Eyes :?
GREEN SLIME! GREEN SLI-I-I-I-I-ME !!! (can't get it out of my head...)
The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime0 BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

Last edited by BoG on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Green Slime (1968) Empty Green Slime!

Post  BoG Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:30 pm

The Green Slime (1968) Greenslime
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down