Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moon Zero Two (1969 UK)

Go down

Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) Empty Moon Zero Two (1969 UK)

Post  BoG Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo
Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) Moonzero2-2
The thing that sticks out for me is the title song: it plays over the beginning credits and this sure does not seem like a Hammer film in the first few minutes! MOOoon ZEeeRrooooee TWOooooo!!!  A girl sings the remaining song in that carefree fashion that epitomized the swinging sixties. And, actually, not much of this entire film is a reminder of anything having to do with Hammer films. Here is the song, if you want to hear it: MOOoon Zeeroe TWOooooo!
Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo-1Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo-2Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo
The film is, unfortunately, in my opinion, mostly forgettable and a bit on the slow side. It's advertised as the 'first moon western' but doesn't really come across that way, being mostly a 'missing person on the moon mystery' or a 'murder moon mystery.'  There are some interesting long shots of the moon colony. James Olson, best known for The Andromeda Strain (1971), doesn't make a great central character, lacking charisma.
Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo4Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZeroTwo-1
That said, it is an interesting curiosity after all this time, not fitting neatly into any genre or standard plotline. The only other thing I might point out is that, as some may surmise from the above plot descriptions, the film that closely followed the model of Moon Zero Two's set-up much later was The Adventures of Pluto Nash, starring Eddie Murphy. Remember that one? I don't bash  that box-office disaster but if you're not a fan of that, shall we say, well-known disappointment, do not have your expectations set too high for Moon Zero Two.
Moon Zero Two (1969 UK) MoonZero22-1 BoG's Score: 5
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down