Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Earth (1974)

Go down

Planet Earth (1974) Empty Planet Earth (1974)

Post  BoG Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Planet Earth (1974) PlanetEarthPlanet Earth (1974) Planetearth7

I remember this one well from TV way back in 1974; as with Genesis II, I acquired a DVD-R of this movie about 5 years ago due to my nostalgia over this entertaining little sci-fi adventure on TV:
Planet Earth (1974) PlanetEarth2Planet Earth (1974) PlanetEarth-1Planet Earth (1974) Planetearth4
Though this is usually described as a reworking or a redo of Roddenberry's Genesis II of the previous year, it's actually more of a sequel. Saxon just replaced Alex Cord in the main role. He plays quite a different type of character than Cord, much more action-oriented and flamboyant. There's some quick narration at the start to bring everyone back up to speed on this setting in the future and we're into the action right away.
Planet Earth (1974) Planetearth-2 Planet Earth (1974) PlanetEarth-3Planet Earth (1974) Planetearth11
This was kind of a dumbed-down version of Genesis II, almost for the kids or the teens, but I do find it to be more entertaining. I'm guessing Roddenberry had been instructed to present much more action than his previous effort; too bad it still didn't result in a TV series. The story introduces us to the latest future mutants: these ugly bastards drive around in 150-year old tricked-out autos and pretend that they're in the military - picture dirty WW2 grunts mutated into slightly reptilian creeps with bad attitudes. Saxon spends much of the movie fighting them with karate moves.
Planet Earth (1974) Planetearth12