Base of Galactic Science Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment: Earth - episode #55

Go down

Assignment: Earth - episode #55 Empty Assignment: Earth - episode #55

Post  BoG Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:14 pm

This was an early role for the unusual actress Teri Garr and she was deliriously eccentric right from the start, accidentally joining Gary-7 in his mission to save the world. It would have been great to see further interaction between her and the black cat, as well as with Gary-7, a possibly odd menage a trois, to be sure. By the way, the story was mostly set in New York City, which looks strangely primitive to us, since we're in a futuristic mood when watching this show. Finally, note how quickly Kirk beams two cops off the Enterprise when they accidentally beam aboard; he learned this approach from his experiences in Tomorrow is Yesterday. BoG's Score: 8 out of 10
Assignment: Earth - episode #55 StarTrek26Assignment10Assignment: Earth - episode #55 StarTrek26Assignment9
Extra Trek Trivia: Lansing's credit appears at the beginning of the episode, also anomalous for the show. The human incarnation of Isis the cat was played by Victoria Vetri - yes, the cavegirl from When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, just recently released on DVD! According to this episode, an advanced alien culture began selecting special human agents 6,000 years ago; Flint, of Requiem For Methuselah fame, was born 6,000 years ago. Coincidence? A lot of stuff seemed to be happening back at that point in history.

CLASSIC TREK QUOTES:
Gary-7: "Humans with a Vulcan.
______You -- you're from the future, Captain! You're going to have to beam me down to Earth immediately
."

Scotty: "It's impossible to hide a whole planet."
Gary-7: "Impossible for you, not for them."

Assignment: Earth - episode #55 StarTrek26Assignment13Assignment: Earth - episode #55 StarTrek26Assignment12

I think this episode is a good example of one that would have been very average had not an actor like Lansing been the central character. (another one was Space Seed, with Ricardo Montalban). Lansing was very memorable in this assignment, commanding everyone's attention, to the point that now, 40 years later, I'm still wondering how it would have been if there were a season-worth of adventures with Gary-7 and Roberta Lincoln.  I think there would have been a neat little series there, even if it lasted only a year. Probably better than The Invaders. At least as good as Land of the Giants. Maybe in some parallel universe...

Assignment: Earth - episode #55 StarTrek26Assignment1 LEFT: Lansing showing a less cold side
BoG
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

https://bogscifi.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down